Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Eye Check

Yesterday Phoebe had her first eye check since having clear eyes in May.  And it was good news!  Her eyes are still clear, yayyyyy!!!

Dr. C was very pleased!  She also said that the "stickiness" of Phoebe's eye was gone.... I'm still not sure exactly how her eyes were sticky, but she said that sometimes even once treated it can remain, but lucky for Phoebe, it has cleared up.

Dr. C continues to impress me with being able to engage Phoebe and is very caring.  Phoebe wanted to give her a hug at the end of the appointment.  I told her not to refer any other pediatric patients to Dr N.

Phoebe climbs right up into the chair, no hesitation!  
She sits in my lap for the exam though, I have to boost her up to get her chin on the chin rest for the slit-lamp.  

This is the duck that helps kids know where to look.
Phoebe loves it!  The screen also shows Dora the Explorer or Finding Nemo.




Today we got our first bill from Blue Shield about Remicade.  I had been wondering how much one infusion costs.  $16,271.10   Pretty sure we'll be hitting our deductible in January of 2019.  Can you even imagine without insurance?  $16,000+ a MONTH? And all billed as "Hospital Misc"... what does that mean?  I find myself speculating over the costs.  How much does the numbing sticker they put on her cost?  How much is the dose of tylenol and benedryl?  The IV placement?  The infusion? The saline? The methotrexate?  The room? Is our food included on that?   I read an article on facebook recently where someone was charged thousands of dollars for two tiny screws that went in their foot.  The screws themselves, which could not have been at all expensive to make, cost thousands of dollars.  The price inflation is just out of control in this country.  I hope that by the time Phoebe is 18, we will have made some better progress with reforms.....

In the mean time, our girl continues to be her wonderful self.  I'll have to do a proper post about some of her early bday doings, but these are from today:




Phoebe was determined to dress herself.  
I only helped a little.  



Phoebe loudly sings the ABCs with me


"Ba Ba Black Sheep" rendition

Phoebe is just starting to get really into Nursery rhymes, which Cordelia was obsessed with from 10 months on.  Cordelia used to have everything memorized and we would pause at the end of each line of her to fill in the last word.  It cracks me up that Phoebe vocalizes for the whole song, trying to match the noises coming out of my mouth.  This girl loves to sing.  She asks me to sing her showtunes non stop.  Her  pronunciation is so adorable:  "-ing, ing, ing" is how she says "sing."  Phoebe also loves going swimming lately, which she pronounces: "HYM! HYM! HYM!"  I'll have to get that on video because it's one of my favorite things.










No comments:

Post a Comment