Monday, July 30, 2018

Our Little Gryffindor

A bit unexpected, but Phoebe loves snakes.  Actually, I don't know how much she actually loves snakes or that she just likes the idea of snakes, but Phoebe and snakes is definitely a thing.

This all got started months ago when we went to the pet store to buy cat food and I took a photo of Phoebe and Cordelia looking at snakes in their tank.  The snakes were actually quite active and moving around.  I feel like every time I've looked at snakes in pet stores they are sleeping, but since Phoebe has taken an interest in them, I see them moving around and being much more active!  Who knew?

Anyway, Phoebe would always pick up my phone and say "hisssssssss", asking to look at this infamous photo of the snakes:



After another to the pet store, I took 2 videos of the (again) active snakes for Phoebe.  We have watched these videos many times.  Pretty much every day Phoebe grabs my phone and says "hisssssss".





So that is how I came up with how to celebrate Phoebe's birthday.  I didn't want to have a big party or anything, so we just celebrated with family.  We did it a bit early, as her cousins are going to be out of town for a trip in the next week.

Phoebe shares her birthday with Harry Potter, July 31st.  And of course, if you know the books, one of the first ways that Harry realizes he has magic is when he makes the glass disappear and lets a caged snake free.  Later, it is determined that Harry is a Parseltongue, a rare talent that allows wizards to speak to snakes!

As she's still young enough to not protest, I dressed her up in a little Gryffindor-inspired outfit and took her to the East Bay Vivarium, a big reptile store in Berkeley!

We also went to a local Mexican restaurant for lunch.  I'd never eaten there before, but my director who lives in Berkeley had told me about it, and it was within walking distance--- so very convenient.  I thought it was yummy.  They were a little light on their dessert supply when I went to order, but there was enough to go around with flourless chocolate cake, sprinkle cookies, and Mexican wedding cookies, so I think everyone was happy.


Phoebe was so excited when everyone began to sing to her.  I swear, she has been waiting for that moment.  She even immediately blew out the candles right on cue.  Then she said "Biyah" because she wanted everyone to sing again.  Lucky baby, just a few more days and she will get her wish!

We then walked a couple blocks and explored the Vivarium!  It was very neat, with so many snakes, turtles, lizards and frogs, just as you'd expect.



Handsome Snake

This is a burmese python, which is what was used in the film for when Harry makes the glass vanish.... watch out!  Off to Brazil.... thankssssss, amigo!!

Cute little guy!

With Meme and Papa.... it's impossible to get both of my kids looking at the same time....

Cordelia really liked this giant monitor lizard... named Elmo

HORRIBLE!!  (Cordelia loved it)

Cute!

Cousins bonding over reptiles

Phoebe really liked this guy!

He wanted to say hello and did a little dance!


Dancing Lizard

Phoebe got her own camel back water backpack for her birthday from her cousins' family.  
Phoebe loves drinking out of Jason's so it was the perfect gift!
She couldn't wait to wear it and drink from it!


I hope it was a fun, unique outing for her birthday!  I wasn't feeling up to organizing a party or beach day, so this felt just right.  Tomorrow is her actual birthday, but we are headed to a farewell party for my coteacher who is moving back to France.


Ok, before we end, I have to confess, one of the main reasons I dressed Phoebe up like a little Gryffindor was because I wanted to make something this for JIA awareness!  Phoebe is the bravest person I know for sure!!  I am kind of wanting to tweet it at JKR, but kind of struggling with character limits to make a post.  Facebook is much better for me in that regard!


Happy Birthday Phoebe! I can't believe when you wake up, you will be 2!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment